Question (100 marks)
In Budget 2023, against the backdrop of continuing low fertility rates, the Singapore government introduced the latest series of family-friendly measures intended to support prospective and current parents. The package included an expansion of paternity leave, an increase in the Baby Bonus cash gift, and a doubling of unpaid infant care leave.
• Teng, Amelia (2023, February 15), “Budget 2023: $3k more in Baby Bonus, more financial support for children’s early years”, The Straits Times.
Retrieved from: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/budget-2023-3000-more-in- cash-gift-for-new-singaporean-babies-more-financial-support-for-children-s-early- years
In your assigned groups, examine issues related to marriage and parenthood in Singapore, within the context of family support policies.
a) Describe some common family types and what the core functions of a family unit are.
b) Explain, in brief, three common challenges faced by couples in Singapore in their marriage and parenthood journey, and discuss whether the new measures introduced in Budget 2023 would be able to address these challenges.
c) Present a new policy proposal, beyond increases in direct monetary incentives, that the Singapore government could introduce in future Budgets to further address Singapore’s fertility challenge.
Answer to Above Questions on Low Fertility Rates
Answer a) Family types vary from country to country showing up different social, cultural and demographic factors. In the case of Singapore, there are different family types such as nuclear family, single parents family, childless family, extended family, same sex family etc. Different types of families have different functional responsibilities such as providing emotional support, economic support, assisting in socialization, providing nurturing and care, conflict resolution and many more.
Get completed answers on the questions above on low fertility rates in Singapore from the quality Singaporean experts of Student Life Saviour in Singapore
Content Removal Request
If you believe that the content above belongs to you, and you don’t want it to be published anymore, then request for its removal by filling the details below. It will only be removed if you can provide sufficient evidence of its ownership.
Our Value Added Service
- Proactive Approach
- No False Promise
- 50% Prepay
- Multiple Contact Options
- Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation
- Boston City Campus
- Brickfields Asia College
- City University
- Durban University of Technology
- Free State
- IMM Graduate School
- International University of Malaysia – Wales
- Lincoln University College
- Milpark Education
- Monash University Malaysia
- Murdoch University Singapore
- Nelson Mandela University
- North West University
- Open Learning Group
- Open University Malaysia
- PMI Adcorp
- Red & Yellow Creative School of Business
- Regenesys Business School
- Regent Business School
- Republic Polytechnic
- RMIT University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS)
- Stadio Higher Education
- Stellenbosch University
- The Independent Institute of Education
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology
- UCT Online High School
- UNITAR International University
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Universiti Tun Abdul Razak (UNITAR)
- University of Cape Town
- University of KwaZulu Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Pretoria
- University of South Africa (UNISA)
- University of the Free State
- University of Western Cape
- University of Witwatersrand
- Walter Sisulu University
- Wawasan Open University (WOU)