Roberto is a first-year law student, and is under a lot of pressure to perform well because of the
sacrifices his mother and grandparents have made for him to study. Knowing that he didn’t quite
‘shoot for the stars’ at school, to improve his chances now, Roberto has asked one of his
classmates, Tarachand, if she would give him some feedback on his first assignment before he
Tarachand has agreed, knowing that this will help both her and Roberto, but after looking at
Roberto’s assignment, she is worried that she is going to offend him with her feedback, which,
unfortunately, is mostly negative. Roberto has used very informal and emotional language,
including slang, and has failed to provide credible, objective evidence. In addition to these issues,
he has also wandered off topic to make unnecessary personal judgements, and Tarachand has no
idea how to tell him all of this in a kind, constructive way.
1. From your reading of the passage, what does ‘informal language’ refer to and indicate if it can used in academic writing? (2)
2. Read the sentence below and answer the questions that follow:
‘Roberto, in the scenario above, should be commended for his attempt to improve his writing skills and his marks.’ (Refer to 4.1).
i) What does the word ‘commend’ mean in the context in which it is used in the above sentence? (1)
ii) What part of speech is the word ‘commend’ ? (1)
3. According to section 4.2 (Identify the purpose of your task), a writer often has a purpose for writing a text. Provide three reasons why a writer writes a text. (3)
4. Explain the importance of identifying your audience. (2)
5. In your own words, explain the difference between the objectivity and subjectivity. (2)
6. Study the following sentences and rewrite them in the passive voice. (4)
i. Roberto has used very informal and emotive language.
ii. Tarachand will give Roberto some feedback on the first assignment.
7. Write a summary of the reading passage provided above. (5) (20 marks)
In Column B, provide synonyms of the words in Column A
Identify the following punctuation marks, explain how you use them in a sentence, and provide a complete sentence with each punctuation mark.
a) I use the ellipsis when I want to show where words have been left out when writing what a person has said or written. In addition, it can also be used to show that there is more to be said, but the person has stopped at that point.
b) Example: “…Plagiarism is another form of dishonesty… and the university does not have tolerance over this behavior”.
ENG1511 is an online module, and it is important for students to engage with their lecturers and their fellow students to ensure that the teaching and learning is delivered successfully.
Participate in any three topics created by your lecturers, e-tutors, fellow students on the ENG1511 discussion forum platform on myUnisa. To serve as evidence of your participation, take a screenshot/picture and attach it on your assignment. Your screenshot/picture should display your surname and initials.
Total: 50 x 2 = 100
Please read through the marking code below as this will give you an indication of how your assignment will be marked.
Write an essay on ONE of the following topics. Provide a heading which summarises your point of view and then write a convincing essay in support of your views. Your essay should be approximately 500 words in length (about two pages). Your essay should be typed using 12 font size, double-spaced. Please leave enough space in the margins for marker comments.
1. Students who submit plagiarised work should be expelled from their respective academic institutions and blocked from registering in any other academic institution in the world. Write an essay in which you argue for or against the statement. Support your argument by providing examples from secondary sources and relevant examples.
2. Society overlooks violence inflicted by women against men. Write an essay in which you argue for or against the statement. Support your argument by providing examples from secondary sources and relevant examples.
3. The South African government should provide housing for all the citizens regardless of their financial background. Support your argument by providing examples from secondary sources and relevant examples.
Get answers on above questions on ENG1511/101
Answer 1: The use of informal language indicates that the communication is casual and relaxed. It includes slang that is used in ordinary course of life, and such type of language is normally not expected in case of academic writing. A student is required to write in a formal language with clarity and precision while doing academic essays. The use of informal language would negatively affect the quality of academic writing, and it is therefore not considered good to use such a language.
Get completed answers on the English questions above from the best quality assignment writing experts in South Africa.
Content Removal Request
If you believe that the content above belongs to you, and you don’t want it to be published anymore, then request for its removal by filling the details below. It will only be removed if you can provide sufficient evidence of its ownership.